Welcome to the bonniesplants.com blog

We love hearing from our customers and potential customers. Please feel free to post your questions and comments here.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Middle pond cleaning Thursday September 2nd Myths untrue











We cleaned the middle pond yesterday. Drained it down, washed the liner and vacuumed it dry. Removed 5 small koi ( used to keep the snails off of my lilies) and put them in a holding tank with an air stone and pump.

The "shark" in the middle pond was 12 inches, up from 7 inches in March of this year.
The one photo, he/she let me hold him in my hand and roll on its side to get a side view and was extremely docile while held. Try that with a koi!

There are a lot of myths on the Internet about them:
* grows 1 to 2 inches a year
* does not like high pH, my pH is 8.4

I plan to dispel the "myth" that they do not breed in captivity. Because I have a total of 5 in my 15,000 gallon pond, I am sure I have both sexes. I will try to sex them in the spring when we drain the ponds down again for spring cleaning. I will set up a tank in the greenhouse and try to breed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment